Healthy Diet for Women after 40
With age, it sure gets progressively difficult to maintain a good metabolism, battle chronic ailments, look wonderful, be a source of power and energy, and stay happy. Whew! Around the peri-menopausal years, you start experiencing changes in the hormone profile, which affects the way food is processed and the manner in which your body uses and manufactures energy. It is an exasperating reality for most. On the other hand, don’t panic, your health is not fated to nose-dive with every turn of the calendar! You can make certain dietary changes as well as lifestyle modifications to help you stay healthy and fit.
Correct nutrition is an important part for women at all ages. Consuming certain youth-promoting foods in your 40s equips your body with the necessary nutrients and helps you look and feel younger and age gracefully!
5 Foods you must eat as a part of healthy diet for women!
We’ve rounded up what you need to consume to stay in the best of shape once you hit 40! Here’s a super healthy diet for women!
• Chickpeas: The kabuli chana is a fabulous legume and provides the perfect nutrition for women. 1 cup serves up 15 grams of fibre, 12 grams of protein and loads of essential nutrients. Kabuli chana keeps your cholesterol profile normal, helps you feel fuller for longer, manages hunger pangs, steadies your blood sugar levels and helps you have a slim waist! A definite must-add to your menu! Tata Sampann Kabuli Chana are unpolished and preserve all the vital nutritional value. They are sourced from the states of Maharashtra, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh - known for fine quality of chickpeas. Try to incorporate kabuli chana into your menu, a minimum of twice per week. Have chhole paratha or take your salads to the next level by adding some boiled chickpeas!
• Brinjal: Baingan (brinjal) can help sharpen your brain! The powerful anthocyanins in the vegetable provide remarkable neuro-protective benefits and help you keep your memory sharper. Here’s a strong reason to toss baingan into your curries and to make more of baingan bharta!
• Cinnamon: This warm, bitter-sweet condiment helps brings down blood sugar levels in diabetics and helps avoid oscillations in the blood sugar which is associated with undue sugar consumption. Having a pinch of the spice daily can help you cut back on your risk for diabetes mellitus, heart diseases and Alzheimer’s.
• Grapes: Powerhouse of resveratrol, grapes truly are the elixir of life! Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant that can reduce your risk of cardiac disorders. What’s more, it promises you a gorgeous skin and helps minimize the onslaught of aging!
• Almonds: Packed with heart-friendly monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, almonds help diminish cholesterol levels and promise good satiety, thus making sure you do not reach out for that bag of chips! Also, the amino acid L-arginine found in the nuts help you burn more fat during your workout. It’s definitely a wise move to integrate almonds into your pre-workout meal or quell hunger pangs by having less than 20 nuts as a mid-morning snack!
5 Lifestyle choices you need to embrace!
Along with adopting a healthy diet, primarily, you need to commit yourself to living mindfully and to making healthier choices.
• Eat every 3 to 4 hours: Rev up your metabolism first thing in the morning with a wholesome breakfast; and importantly, keep eating regularly and consistently throughout the day. Experts advocate eating every 3 to 4 hours to keep the body fueled up as well as to support your fat burning goals.
• Supplementation: Post 40, you need to get your vitamin and mineral profile assessed; it’s crucial to check for deficiencies and deal with them promptly. Confer with your health care provider if you need to embark on supplementation to meet your daily requirement. Also, do bear in mind that it is very easy to get sucked into a whirlpool of ‘magic pills’; so, make sure that you tread with great care when it comes to supplements.
• Get your beauty sleep! : When you were younger, you might have gotten away with 5 or 6 hours of sleep, but it is very vital that you get sufficient sleep each night. Good, sound sleep of 8 hours ensures that you are well rested and rejuvenated - getting you ready to seize the day!
• Workout! With age, the metabolic rate decelerates, you start losing muscle mass and gain weight, more so, around the middle. Staying active and exercising regularly can help reduce this.
• Mindful meditation: Meditation calms you and de-clutters the brain. It reduces anxiety, depression, stress, confusion and even pain. Commence with a session of 5 minutes and gradually build up; this is a good practice to start with and to ease into the mindful state.
Your 40s can be a frenzied time! A healthy diet for women is a must for women during these times. Make prudent choices to stay healthy and fit during this decade of life too.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.