Tata Sampann Recipes: Jackfruit Seeds Sabzi
The jackfruit is popular for its rich, sweet taste. Its fibrous texture makes it a great substitute for meat in a number of vegan and vegetarian dishes. It is a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, fibre and protein. While jackfruit flesh is a nutritious addition to any diet, jackfruit seeds are not to be overlooked as they offer a number of health benefits as well. Looking to add jackfruit seeds to your diet? Chef Sanjeev Kapoor has put together this nutritious, delicious recipe for jackfruit seed sabzi using garam masala and other common spices.
Animal studies have shown that jackfruit seeds help to lower LDL or bad cholesterol and increase the levels of HDL or good cholesterol. They also contain phytochemicals like tannins, saponins and flavonoids which have been shown to have anti-cancer properties. What’s more, jackfruit seeds are an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fibre. Jackfruit seeds are also good source of nutrients such resistant starch, protein, thiamine, riboflavin and antioxidants. They also contain prebiotics that aid digestive health by promoting the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
Another key ingredient in this dish is garam masala. The main components of this spice mix are cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, chilli, mace, pepper and coriander seeds. While every spice used in this mix comes with its own unique health benefits, together they help improve the appetite, aid digestion, aid the absorption of vitamins and minerals, and boost immunity. Ingredients used in this spice blend are known to show anti-inflammatory properties and contain antioxidants. They may also help improve blood lipid levels and manage blood sugar levels.
Don’t compromise on nutrition, make sure to use fresh and pure ingredients for your sabzi. Try Tata Sampann’s range of spices - they are prepared from carefully sourced ingredients and packaged to preserve their vital nutrients.
Take a look at this video from Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana and try your hand at this tasty recipe.
- 1½ tbsp oil
- 1- 2 green chillies
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1½ tsp Tata Sampann Garam Masala
- 1½ tsp Tata Sampann Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Tata Sampann Turmeric Powder
- ¾ tsp Tata Sampann Coriander Powder
- 1½ tsp Tata Sampann Jeera Powder
- Tata Salt to taste
- 1½ cup boiled jackfruit seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil and sauté chopped green chillies, finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add in one chopped onion and cook till it turns translucent.
- Next, add the tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add in Tata Sampann Garam Masala, red chilli powder, turmeric or haldi powder, coriander or dhania powder and cumin or jeera powder. Mix well, cook for a minute and add salt to taste.
- Cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes and then mix in ½ a cup of water.
- Next, mix in chopped jackfruit seeds and chopped fresh coriander, and cook.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh coriander and serve with a side of rotis.
- Plasma Lipid Profiles and Atherogenic Indices of Rats Fed Raw and Processed Jack Fruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) Seeds Diets at Different Concentrations [Semantics Scholar]
- Anti-angiogenic effect of Artocarpus heterophyllus seed methanolic extract in ex ovo chicken chorioallantoic membrane [Science Direct]
- Benefits Of Garam Masala And Its Side Effects [Lybrate]
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.