Tata Sampann Recipes: Iftar Treats – Kashmiri Dum Aloo
The ever-versatile potato takes a festive and royal avatar as Kashmiri Dum Aloo. A dish that is perfect for every occasion, Dum Aloo is made in many different ways in different parts of the country. There is the Punjabi Dum Aloo, Bengali Dum Aloo, Lucknowi Dum Aloo and the Banarasi Dum Aloo, along with glorious Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
As the popularity of the Kashmiri Dum Aloo increased, its authentic taste got compromised due to many additions and replacements favoured by chefs all over the world. But nothing beats the authentic dish. The signature tangy, spicy taste is derived by blending locally available spices with thick curd. The striking colour of Kashmiri red chilies makes this dish extremely visually appealing. With potatoes as the main ingredient, there isn’t anything to dislike about the Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
India’s top chef, Sanjeev Kapoor shares his authentic version of the Kashmiri Dum Aloo in this video.
To shallow fry potatoes
- Mustard oil
- 10-12 Baby Potatoes
For the yogurt mix
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp red chili paste
For the tempering
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp Tata Sampann Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- ¼ tsp roasted clove powder
- 1 tsp Tata Sampann Kitchen King Powder
- Begin by shallow frying potatoes in mustard oil till the potatoes are cooked but firm. Sprinkle some salt while doing this. Keep the potatoes aside.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, fennel powder, green cardamom powder and Kashmiri red chili paste. Whisk and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat mustard oil. Add asafetida ( hing), Tata Sampann Red Chili Powder, and roasted cumin powder. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour some water in the pan and add salt.
- Add the curd mix and bring it to boil
- Add the roasted potatoes, roasted clove powder and the Tata Sampann Kitchen King Masala.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make sure you use the pure and unadulterated Tata Sampann Kitchen King Masala to get the amazing taste of the Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
Made this recipe? Share your feedback by leaving a comment below.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.