What causes lethargy?
If you find it hard to keep your eyes open through the day or absolutely cannot manage the awful afternoon slump, you definitely need to reevaluate your diet. Grabbing a packet of cookies, guzzling coffee or downing an energy drink is definitely not the solution. Instead, you need to fuel up with nutrient-laden, energy-boosting foods that pledge to banish tiredness and lethargy and keep you active all day long in a healthy way.
Lethargy is characterized by fatigue, weariness, drowsiness, apathy and lack of energy. There is also reduced motivation and some degree of depression. Lethargy usually is a fairly normal response to over-exertion, insufficient sleep, boredom, stress, and a sedentary lifestyle. The condition tends to resolve with sufficient sleep, adequate rest, eating right and managing your stress well.
In case, the lethargic symptoms persist and fail to resolve with self-care measures, it is indicative of an underlying disorder and needs to be duly investigated.
Possible causes of lethargy
Lethargy occurs in response to sleep deprivation, over-exertion, lack of exercise, stress or monotony. Fortunately, self-care measures tackle the problem easily. On the other hand, constant lethargy indicates the presence of some disorder or disease condition.
If you feel tired and weary in the morning and it continues through the day, the cause is usually poor sleep or depression. Fatigue and exhaustion are strongly related to your diet as well.
If the lethargy comes on as the day progresses and is accompanied by constipation, irritability, dry skin, and weight gain, the cause may be a thyroid malfunction. In case lethargy is accompanied by breathlessness, it may be because of heart or lung disorders. When there’s no clear diagnosis, the cause invariably is chronic fatigue syndrome. There are scores of reasons for the development of fatigue and lethargy and ascertaining your cause is very vital.
7 foods that give you a burst of energy and battle lethargy!
Foods that are loaded with protein, fibre and complex carbs provide all-day energy. These foods keep the blood glucose level steady and ward off oscillations that tend to cause sluggishness, lethargy and hunger. So, stock up on these powerful foods can give you energy.
1. Almonds: The quickest and most gratifying pick-me-up that proffers an explosion of energy are almonds. Almonds give you fibre, protein and healthy fats which keep you full for a long interval of time. Alongside, they are also packed with – copper, magnesium, manganese, and riboflavin, all of which support the production of energy. Begin your day with a fistful of almonds, or have it as an 11 o’clock snack, or if you are prone to the horrible afternoon slump have 12 almonds post lunch. This will help you improve your energy levels.
2. Chocolate: A chocolate fix for your fatigue. Opt for a small bite of dark chocolate though; it has lesser sugar and lots of flavanols. It’s a truly satisfying treat which will promise a mega boost of energy that will help you sail through your day!
3. Beans: Pulses and legumes are made up of the dream-team – protein and fibre! These two, steady blood sugar levels and keep you fuller for longer and provide sustained energy. Fibre increases the transit time in the GI tract, slowing down digestion and absorption and providing longer satiety. Pulses are also packed with iron and this is essential to battle iron deficiency related fatigue. Iron is necessary for the manufacture of RBCs that carry oxygen throughout the body, and it also helps the body make energy. Thus, an iron insufficiency makes you lethargic and tired. Ensure that you have 1 to 2 servings of beans and lentils everyday; they are massive nutritional powerhouses. Opt for Tata Sampann pulses as they do not undergo artificial polishing with water, oil or leather. The beans are scientifically and hygienically processed and packaged and adhere to stringent rules and regulations. This ensures that you get consistent quality throughout the year.
4. Eggs: Starting your day with eggs is the most ideal way to obtain lasting energy that will see you well through the day. The protein and healthy fat in the egg ensures that your blood sugar level stays absolutely stable. Consequently, this will lessen your sugar cravings and it help will you avoid the afternoon slump. The egg is a huge nutritional powerhouse and it’s most prudent to integrate it in to your daily menu.
5. Yogurt: Yogurt gives you protein and pro-biotics. It’s also packed with plenty of calcium which helps strengthen bones and keep them healthy. A big bowl of curd, topped with fresh fruit and slivered nuts serves as the perfect breakfast. Then again, steer clear of frozen yogurt that is loaded with sugar and additives; they will be counter-effective.
6. Bananas: Bananas provide an instantaneous energy boost! This fruit supplies - fructose, glucose, and sucrose; these are absorbed into the bloodstream at varying speeds, so that means you will get a giant energy boost and alongside will not suffer a slump since the blood sugar levels will not erratically oscillate. Banana is also perfect for your 4 o’clock snack!
7. Water: Studies show that consuming very little water can lead to a dip in your energy levels. It may also have you reaching out for sugary foods and caffeine. Make sure you consume 3 liters of water per day. You could also amp up on – oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cucumbers and strawberries. These fruits are laden with water, lend a burst of flavor and also proffer mega nutritional benefits thus providing hydration and sustained energy.
Practically all of us get stressed and over-worked, every once in a while. Lethargy and temporary tiredness have an identifiable trigger and also an expected cure. Conversely, do remember sugary snacks and coffee may appear appealing when you are exhausted; however, they do not really help. They give you an initial boost, but soon the energy level hits rock bottom and you feel wearier than before. Unremitting fatigue and lethargy have adverse effects – energy levels plummet, motivation and concentration take a huge hit, and your emotional well-being gets negatively impacted as well. It is exceedingly crucial for you to identify your cause and manage it promptly. Do consult your doctor to understand the causes of lethargy and create a plan to deal with it efficiently.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.