Turning Khichdi Gourmet
Khichdi is one of the most versatile and healthiest dishes you could make! This comfort food contains complex carbs, has a bountiful protein profile and proffers adequate healthy fats. Additionally, integrating various vegetables and spices can lend the dish a ton of antioxidant wholesomeness.
5 recipes that give the humble khichdi an international appeal!
With so many amazing health benefits, this super satisfying and tasty dish is bound to become your new go-to meal, more so, when you are short on time. Khichdi is laden with protein from the dals, has a mix of healthy whole grains and is overflowing with powerful spices. It's a superb source for healthy and scrumptious eating inspiration! An incredible freestyle meal idea, khichdi is fantastic for those who hate mind-numbing step-by-step elaborate recipes, yet do not want to give up flavorful meals. The dish pairs delightfully well with yogurt, raita, kadhi, pickle, choonda, papad and chutney. Tata Sampann 6 Grain Khichdi Mix would be a brilliant addition to your pantry. This mix contains the goodness of 6 super grains – rice, unpolished chilka split moong dal, ragi, amaranth, bajra and jowar - all perfectly seasoned. You can use this as a base to make delectable and embellished khichdi variations like these -
• Mix vegetable khichdi: This one is a superb freestyle dinner idea. It is made with just a couple of ingredients and it’s completely self-explanatory to put them together. What’s more, the ingredients go from the stove to the dining table in less than 30 minutes. Toss the veggies – green peas, tomatoes, French beans, cauliflower, potatoes, onions and the spicy aromats in a pan and sauté well. You can experiment and jazz things up a little bit by adding broccoli, zucchini and bell peppers as well. You are going to love this khichdi because it's extremely easy to pull together and dishes up plenty of vegan protein and a ton of antioxidants. Regard this recipe as your go-to for hectic nights. Serve with a side of kadhi.
• Grilled fish khichdi: Rub a savoury combination of spices condiments into the fish and grill. Fish, combined with rice, moong dal and masoor dal proffers a healthy wholesomeness and gives the recipe a hearty, gratifying feel, as well. You’ll get a good protein dose from the lentils as well as the fish. While the omega 3 fatty acids from the fish can help ward off cardiac disorders, they can also help boost brain power. You could also throw in green peas and cauliflower to amp up on the taste and health factor. This dal khichdi recipe got so much yummier and innovative with the introduction of fish and vegetables!
• Egg khichdi: If you are skeptical about whether a khichdi is sufficient to satiate your appetite, then you absolutely must try the egg khichdi! Boiled or scrambled eggs - both make for appetizing additions to a khichdi. The egg provides a generous dose of muscle-building protein and amalgamates well with all lentils. If you're looking to put a fun spin on the dish, dust it off with lots of finely chopped mint and coriander - it tastes simply divine! Perfect for those nights when you want to whip up an effortless, yet flavor-packed robust meal.
• Shahi khichdi: This appetizing one-pot marvel comes together in less than 20 minutes! You must add this super recipe to your weekly menu plan to eliminate the pressure from your dinnertime grind! Toss the paneer and veggies on a skillet, sprinkle Shahi Biryani masala and cook for a few minutes. Pressure-cook the khichdi mix along with ginger and garlic. To construct your khichdi, begin with the mushy lentil-rice base, then pile on the veggies and cottage and lastly, top off with fried cashews and raisins! It can’t get more shahi than this! The resultant dish contains a healthy dose of muscle-building and satiating protein, bone-fortifying calcium and loads of potent antioxidants.
• Chicken and chickpeas khichdi: This recipe is a protein powerhouse – lentils, chickpeas and chicken! When you’ve got a house-full of voracious eaters, make this meal with a side of raita and pickle. Cubed chicken, dry masalas, garlic chutney, vegetables, kabuli chana, dals and rice combine beautifully in this hearty and warming dish. Garlic, ground pepper and chili are the game-changers! If you're craving for a meal that tastes utterly indulgent and is healthy – then this is it!
Khichdi cooks very quickly, making it an excellent option for frenzied weeknights. After a long, hard day, the very thought of cooking can be draining. On such evenings, the khichdi can be your best friend – it’s nourishing, warming, comforting and very delicious. Your hunger is sure to be quelled! So, go ahead and give your khichdi a massive makeover! Any interesting dal khichdi recipe ideas come to mind? Do let us know in the comments section below.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.