Traditional Chana Dal Recipes
The very unassuming chana dal is one of nature's healthiest source of protein. In addition, it contains fibre, decreases cholesterol levels, is incredibly adaptable and unbelievably convenient, and very affordable - the Bengal gram is simply wow!
Half a cup of chana dal can deliver upto 10 – 12 grams of protein. Let’s break down and understand the wonderful health benefits of the lentil:
The fibre in the dal helps lower blood cholesterol level and improves your lipid profile, thus keeping the heart happy.
The dream team of protein and fibre keeps you fuller longer, boosts satiety and is just what the doctor ordered for weight watchers. Integrating chana dal in to your diet can help you lose as well as maintain weight.
Furthermore, chana dal is great for diabetics as well. It prevents spiking of the blood sugar level and steadies your blood glucose profile and ought to be incorporated into your diabetic-friendly diet.
7 unique chana dal recipes from across India!
A rather unsung hero, the Bengal gram sure proffers a whole bunch of noteworthy benefits! Let’s explore some yummy traditional chana dal recipes.
1. Puran poli: A meal so yummy, you just won’t believe it's actually very healthy! The odds are, that if a recipe uses the word ‘stuffed’ it is highly probable that it will, to a certain extent be unhealthy with high calorie ingredients and loads of salt and sugar. On the other hand, if made properly, the stuffing can in fact be a huge nutritional bonus! The puran poli guarantees you a wholesome dose of low-cal protein, plenty of fibre, and excellent vitamins from the chana dal, jaggery, and whole wheat. Lots of powdered cardamom takes the recipe to the next level and you could put a Konkani spin to your puran poli by adding some grated coconut to the mixture as well!
2. Dal pakwaan: A highly loved Sindhi delicacy comprising of crispy puri and spicy chana dal, it is customarily eaten for breakfast, but can be jazzed up and served as a snack as well. This recipe promises amazingly crispy puris and spicy chana dal curry! Crank it up a notch and serve the crunchy golden puris topped with hot chana dal, diced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions, dates chutney, green chutney, and pomegranate! Delectable and wholesome – absolutely perfect!
3. Thengai podi: This chutney powder is the ideal side for idli, dosa, uttapam, vada and rice. A staple in every South Indian home, this dry chutney is extremely easy to make. Urad dal, chana dal and coconut come together beautifully in this podi. Chef’s tip – roast the dals and coconut well. An antioxidant and protein-loaded chutney which is just the thing for those lazy days!
4. Chana dal aloo tikki: Enhance your protein intake and boost your metabolism with this super yummy and nutritious delight! There's absolutely no debate that this tikki is extremely delicious! It checks all the boxes – nutrition, taste and straightforward to make! Pair it with ketchup for a snack or combine with stir-fried vegetables and rice for a complete meal. Refreshing and satisfying!
5. Parippu kheerai masiyal: In this simply fabulous Tamil dish, chana dal joins forces with spinach, making it a nutrition giant! What’s more, this recipe can change even major spinach haters into fans! The curry leaves are an essential in this dish and this protein-packed, wholesome dish must definitely be a part of your meal plan. This version is rich with garlic and spices, spinach and chana dal are chockfull of choicest nutrition.
6. Chana dal bhurji: This recipe gives you a big punch of protein and is exceedingly easy to make. Boil and crush the lentils, add spices and chopped vegetables and blend well. The chana dal is a great canvas for a whole host of flavours! Get innovative with your filling – onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers. If you're looking for an extra flavour boost, add garam masala, garlic and ginger. This dal scramble is perfect to fill in a roti, and along with some yogurt and chutney, it makes for a scrumptious wrap! This recipe helps improve insulin sensitivity, the lipid profile, and gut health.
7. Dal pitha: If you are a big fan of the dumplings and are craving them, here’s a recipe that you must try! This protein-packed and fibre-rich recipe is super scrumptious! This Bihari specialty, it is made from rice flour and is stuffed with chana dal and delectable spices. A guilt-free yummy snack, it replaces the fried hors d’oeuvres easily! Steamed and spicy, these dumplings gratify your taste buds when you pop a whole one into your mouth. Serve with mint-coriander chutney. The lentils are fibre rockstars and will keep you full for a long time.
So, stock up on the amazingly healthy chana dal now! Use Tata Sampann Chana Dal as it unpolished, cleaner and purer compared to loose dals available in the market. This desi chana dal is sourced from farms of Maharashtra, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh, which are known for their fine quality. Try out these traditional recipes to incorporate taste and tradition in your diet.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.