Staying Hydrated During Summer
It’s no secret that water is very essential for us. Water is the fundamental source of life. Those who forge a commitment to drink ample water, develop a habit, and in due course learn to love it!
Why should I drink lots of water?
Water is the body's chief component and makes up about 60% of the body weight. It takes on added significance during the hot weather months, when we tend to sweat a lot and lose water and electrolytes. This is the role water plays in our body:
- Every cell in the body requires adequate amounts of water to function properly.
- It sluices out noxious wastes via sweat, urine and faeces
- Helps maintain normal temperature normal
- Lubricates the various joints
- Offers protection for the sensitive structures of the body
When you do not consume sufficient amounts of water on a daily basis, it leads to dehydration — you feel tired and exhausted and your body fails to carry out normal functions.
How much fluid should I drink daily?
You lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. In order for the body to function optimally, you need torestock water by consuming adequate amounts of the water itself along with foods and drinks that contain water.
- Men need 3.7 litres of fluids
- Women need 2.7 litres of fluids
These recommendations incorporate liquid from water, other beverages and food. Approximately 20% of the fluid that you need every day comes from food and drinks.
5 incredibly yummy drinks to stay well hydrated
Here are 5 recipes to make your hydration quota taste delicious!
• Mint infusion: Water infusions are a really fun way of getting your daily ration. Add fresh mint leaves and a couple of slices of lemon to a jug of water and refrigerate. You can also upgrade your glass by making it look super fancy and flavoured ice cubes!To create these ice cubes, chop your favourite fruits into very small pieces, add into the ice cube trays, and fill with water. Serve your glass of mint water with these awesome ice cube creations! Mint is super cooling, pumps up hydration and also aids in digestion. Perfect for summer months.
• White tea: White tea is dried naturally, in sunlight.It is the least processed kind of tea and brimming over with powerful antioxidants. A cup of white tea is a yummy form of hydration and simultaneously boosts fat breakdown, keeping your waistline toned and taut.
• Juices: Juices are low in calories, low in fat, loaded with fibre and potent antioxidants. Juices can keep you well hydrated and boost your energy as well. Steer clear of store-bought ones though as they may content sugar. Mix a quarter cup of your favourite fruit – berries, orange, grapefruit, and water. Voilà! Here’s your water requirement along with a huge nutritional boost!The fruits supply oodles of vitamin C that fortify the immune system and the smoothie is a fun way to get your daily quota of water Add a dash of rock salt to enhance the taste of your homemade juice.
• Vanilla almond smoothie:This one’s so delicious, and so simple to make, that you can have it as breakfast, a snack, a meal replacement, or even dessert! Blend together almonds, yogurt, some milk and a dash of vanilla essence; skip the sugar. You could use stevia instead – ideal for weight watchers and diabetics. You can also experiment with your smoothies – add greens, yogurt, almond milk; the sky’s the limit! What’s more, all these foods are jam-packed with the choicest nutrients.
• Ginger lemonade:When you are looking for a little flavour and a bit of zing to liven up your drinks without the guilt of a bunch of calories, get creative with the lemonade. Add grated ginger to your lemonade with a smidge of rock salt and stay hydrated throughout the day! Ginger is packed with gingerols which are potent anti-inflammatory agent, lemon gives you incredible amounts of vitamin C and rock salt is brimming over with all the essential minerals that you need to replenish lost ones.
To boost your electrolyte and energy levels through your drinks, include a pinch of rock salt in your drink. Tata Salt offers an array of salts - Tata Salt, Tata Rock Salt, and Tata Black Salt – they’re a fabulous blend of health and great taste.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.