New Year, New Diet
With the year ending and the beginning of the New Year, its common to revisit your fitness and health goals post the celebration. And its human nature to want to experiment by going on a new diet that is enticing and challenging rather than a diet tried before. As much as this is an exciting experiment and challenge, I would love to emphasize on a few things that can be worked on before starting a new diet with the new year resolution of health and fitness goals.
- To align ourselves to the new beginnings, it is important to have a clarity of your present state of health, clear vision of the health goal desired and a plan of action. Hence, it would be a good idea to reflect on different areas of life that may need little more love and attention, as we now know that all the areas of life can influence one another in various ways. At the same time, this exercise can be an excellent revelation on the areas that are going well and be able to have a sense of accomplishment. The areas include physical environment, career, money, fun and recreation, romance, personal development, social connection and health and well-being.
- An excellent way to gain clarity on your goal is to experiment with calming the mind with some meditation or deep breathing exercise and visualize the goal. This guided imagery exercise is very helps gain clarity and focus.
- While considering a diet, it is imperative to understand one owns body’s needs and story that includes medical and health history. A good diet will align with the body and help gain results as opposed to a fad diet that is popular across the globe or a diet that a friend or dear one is following.
- The best strategy in following a new plan and to stick to it is to consider meal planning ideas. Getting a kitchen makeover is a good idea wherein you can clean up the kitchen off all processed and packaged foods and stock real whole nutritious foods such as milk, nuts, seeds, eggs, fruits , vegetables, whole grains and pulses.
- Other meal planning ideas include gathering nutritious recipes, menu planning for the week, ensuring some easy snack options such as boiled eggs, homemade pesto sauce that can added to any veggie, homemade peanut butter, coriander chutney, carrot sticks with hung curd dip, homemade hummus with salad, vegetable raita and pulse salad such as kala chana salad are some delicious healthy options that can be kept ready.
- Consider experimenting with medicinal herbs and spices such as ginger, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, basil, black pepper, fennel, dill and others that help to flavor the food and are equally important for the digestive health.
Besides meal planning, it can also be beneficial to check on your exercise regime, include 7-8 hours sleep, pay attention stress management techniques such as yoga, meditation and chanting, regular sunshine and a positive self-image. Start on positive note and stay committed to your plan to see results.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.