Humble Besan On The Foreign Shores
Besan or chickpea flour is slowly, yet surely sorting its way through into kitchens across the globe - and with excellent reason! Its popularity has spread far and wide – the flour is truly versatile, it brags about having remarkable amounts of protein and fibre and is super flavourful. One cup of chickpea flour, i.e. about 100 grams proffers 20 grams of protein and 12 grams of fibre. It is plant-based, making it ideal for vegans. In fact, in the culinary circles, besan has been integrated in both savoury as well as sweet dishes. Here we've rounded up 5 yummy and innovative ways of using the chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour – a gastronomic delight!
Besan recipes range from breakfasts, vegetarian mains, sides, and all the way to desserts! Without a shadow of a doubt, there isn't anything that the chickpea flour can't do!
• Tortillas: Here, the chickpea flour joins forces with corn flour and whole wheat flour to make the tortilla a nutritious giant! The fibre lowers cholesterol levels, improves your blood sugar profile, and boosts satiety, keeping you fuller for longer and making sure that you do not reach out for calorie-packed junk food. These besan flour tortillas are a lighter version and are brimming over with all the right nutrients. Perfect for your enchiladas and burritos! Fill them up with kidney beans, guacamole, shredded cabbage, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers and cheese! This besan flour tortilla recipe has a ton of healthy nutrients which fire up your anti-inflammatory and immune system responses – promising you fabulous health!
• Pizza: Add a wholesome twist to your pizza, so that you don’t have to feel guilty when you devour one! Make your pizza base using ½ a cup of chickpea flour and ½ a cup of whole wheat flour. What’s more, even the picky eaters won’t guess that anything is different with the base! Also, load your pizza with super-foods – bell peppers, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, and corn – colourful, yummy and nutritious. You could skimp on the cheese and use crumbled paneer instead. And you were worried that getting your daily quota of super foods would be so very tough!
• Fritters: These fritters lay the basis for a super healthy day - given the whopping 12 grams of protein that it provides. Contemporary kitchens use chickpea flour, carrots, mushrooms and broccoli for these gorgeous fritters! The ingredients are really simple, but immensely satisfying, and the dish comes together in less than half an hour. You could also have these fritters as an afternoon snack to squash those hunger pangs the healthy way! Team them with a dip and salad – scrumptious!
• Omelette: Whisk up this vegan, protein-loaded omelette. Chickpea flour is the foundation of the omelette; and bags of flavour are packed into this recipe using – lycopene-laden tomatoes, zingy spring onions and crunchy red bell peppers. A dietary pot of gold!
• Cakes: Yes, you’ve read it right! Cakes! Don’t be so shocked and make some room for besan in your chocolate cake! Add a small percentage of this awesome flour to your cake batter, and let your protein portion in the cake sky-rocket! Furthermore, the batter comes together delightfully well, guaranteeing you a fluffy cake! Crank up the nutrition quotient by adding dark chocolate and cutting back a bit on the butter. Decadent, yet fairly nutritious!
• Cookies or Nankhatai: Here’s a cookie that can boost fat burning, perk up your metabolic rate and subdue the appetite! Unbelievable, right?! This cookie is jam packed with protein and fibre, and tastes supremely delicious. The best part about this indulgence is the fact that it will not wreck your weight-slashing goals. The protein, complex carbs, and fibre from the gram flour, keep you feeling fuller for long intervals of time; prevent the blood sugar from oscillating and keep the cholesterol profile in check too. So many reasons to eat a cookie!
Integrating chickpea flour in to your menu is a wonderful way of stepping up your protein and fibre intake tremendously and rewarding yourself with a whole host of health benefits. Tata Sampann Besan is made from unpolished beans which retain all the nutritive goodness. It is pure besan, without addition of any other flours or powders. So, go right ahead experiment with these offbeat, interesting and creative recipes and include lots of besan in to your menu!
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.