Home Remedies For Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers or apthae or canker sores are tiny, shallow lesions which form on the soft tissues in the mouth. They can be painful and make eating and talking rather difficult. They are found on the cheeks, gums, tongue, base of the mouth, and the soft palate. Common causes include biting your tongue or cheek, consuming very hot or acidic food or drinks, or trauma from teeth braces and dentures.
5 effective remedies to battle mouth ulcers
- Salt water: The most effective remedy for mouth sores is saline water. Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a cup of water and gargle with it several times in the day. Salt is a potent anti-septic and anti-inflammatory agent and effectively treats ulcers.
- Honey: Another powerful anti-microbial remedy, honey reduces canker sore pain considerably. It also staves off a secondary infection. Apply a generous amount of honey to the ulcer twice daily.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is a wonderful remedy to heal mouth ulcers as well as to relieve the burning and pain. Use a chamomile tea bag as a compress to soothe the sores. You can also gargle with warm chamomile tea. Repeat frequently.
- Yogurt: If your sores are related to H. Pylori infection or inflammatory bowel syndrome, experts advise consuming a bowl of yogurt to manage the condition successfully. The live pro-biotic cultures help tackle inflammatory bowel condition and eradicate the H. Pylori bacteria too, consequently treating the ulcers. Consume 1 cup of yogurt daily.
- Turmeric: Curcumin in turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It soothes the ulcer, allays pain and burning and reduces the redness, thereby expediting the process of healing. Mix 1 spoon of powdered turmeric with some water and apply the paste on the sores, thrice daily. Along with treating mouth ulcers, it is used to manage a host of health conditions, ranging from - toothache, bruises, haemorrhage and stomach ache.
If you are using these home remedies, make sure that you use organic and pure products to avail these benefits. Spices such as turmeric are often adulterated and impure. Use Tata Sampann Turmeric Powder as it is rich in curcumin and natural oils.
Using these remedies, the pain and discomfort can lessens in about 2 to 3 days and the ulcers fade away in a week’s time. On the other hand, if your ulcers don’t seem to be responding to your home remedies, it would be prudent to consult your health care provider.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.