Home remedies for hair growth
You have most definitely sought the help of innumerable hair care products, gone frequently to the salon for a hair spa, may be even visited a trichologist and tried everything possible in your hair-care armoury to battle dull-looking, thin, brittle hair! Fear not, we’ve rounded up fail-safe home remedies for hair growth, foods and masks which promise gorgeous locks and radically improve the length, strength and texture of your hair.
The hair needs vitamins, minerals, proteins and antioxidants to be healthy; and you need to know what you can add to your diet to elevate your hair from lame to luscious!
Food battles hair fall
There are tons of foods and natural remedies for hair growth – these are packed with all the goodness to provide your mane with a complete revamp. There's a lot more to healthy, luxuriant hair than finding the right oil, shampoo and conditioner. Hair care regimen is a blend of what the hair as well as the scalp absorbs topically along with what vitamins and minerals the body obtains from the food you eat.
Healthy foods feed the hair in the same way that they nourish the body. Vital organs such as the heart, liver and lungs get a large chunk of the nutrient-dense stuff, and consequently the hair depends on useless scraps if your diet is lacking in the crucial nutrients. Dietary causes for hair loss are – insufficient quantity of protein and an absence of vitamins A, E, D, biotin and omega 3 fatty acids. Other significant causes for hair loss and lack-luster hair range from stress, genetics, anemia, hypothyroidism, chemotherapy and even over-styling and using too many hair care products.
Although hair loss tends to be physical and is far from life threatening, those who suffer from hair loss, thinning of hair and balding endure grave emotional effects – anxiety, depression and loss of self-esteem.
Conversely, a wholesome diet chockfull of an abundance of vitamins, minerals and proteins can help remedy hair loss successfully. In fact, healthy hair can be made in your kitchen! Here are certain specific foods that you ought to be integrating into your diet for healthy, glossy tresses.
5 foods for gorgeous hair!
Softer! Glossier! Fuller! Your hair can absolutely be all these if you do not skimp on a nutrient-dense diet! Let’s dive in to these 5 natural remedies for effective hair loss management.
• Eggs: Loaded with protein and biotin, the egg is a fabulous natural treatment for hair loss. It is an excellent source of protein - 1 egg provides approximately 6 grams of the macronutrient. Our hair comprises chiefly of protein, so you require plenty of it in your diet to ensure you have stellar strands! 90 % of your hair is always in the growing stage, thus, if you fail to give your hair and scalp sufficient amounts of protein, the hair starts to fall, looks dry, scraggly and lack-luster, and balding sets in. Including 1 to 2 eggs in your daily meals is without a doubt recommended. Also, the fatty acids found in the yolk make your hair stronger, shinier and ward off split ends. The biotin in 1 egg is 10mcg; it’s a wonder nutrient that helps re-instate thickness and shine. The egg is also an exceptional source of vitamin D which makes the hair grow strong and shiny. The sunshine vitamin has the ability to create new hair follicles, thereby boosting hair growth, improving hair thickness and decreasing the amount of hair you lose. So, load up on eggs to get your dream hair!
• Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are chockfull of vitamin E. Vitamin E is very important for growth and repair and helps heal damaged hair follicles and promote good hair growth. Pumpkin seeds also boast of large amounts of zinc and magnesium which help the cells regenerate quickly and effectively. These seeds pack a huge nutritional punch and are a rather versatile food for healthy hair. In fact, the seeds are touted as one of the best home remedies for hair growth and long hair. Add generous amounts to your juices and smoothies, top your cereal bowl with a liberal sprinkling of the seeds, toss them into your muffins or just enjoy them as a hair-loving snack! A daily serving of the seeds promotes long, shiny hair, and prevent the hair from turning dull and lifeless.
• Sweet potato: The sweet potato steals the limelight when it comes to hair care! In addition to being a deliciously sweet treat, the sweet potato is unquestionably incredible for your hair! Brimming over with beta carotene, the sweet potato speeds up the growth of hair and enhances oxygen levels in the hair follicles in the scalp. The body converts beta carotene into vitamin A, and the vitamin A helps the scalp release sebum which keeps your hair well lubricated and moisturized and puts a stopper to hair breakage. The hair turns visibly thicker, silkier and stronger. The sweet potato can be easily paired with most meals; so ensure that you add generous amounts of the tuber to your menu.
• Walnuts: The walnut is your hair’s best friend! It is jam packed with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E which offer tremendous protection to the hair and greatly enhance its shine. Experts say 1 serving of the nut is equivalent to oodles of sunscreen for your hair! Walnuts contain a profusion of hair-loving vitamins - vitamin A, D, E, B1, B2 and B6; are packed with linolenic and alpha-linolenic acids, magnesium and protein – all of which guarantee strong, shiny hair. Let a fistful of walnuts be your midday snack.
• Lentils: Lentils and beans are very important remedies for hair growth. They are a noteworthy source of good-quality protein as well as proffer large amounts of iron; and these two nutrients together support a head full of luxuriant hair. Lentils are a great source of zinc and biotin too. Have a bowl of steaming lentil soup every day, integrate different dals into your diet or gorge on bean sprouts. Not only are lentils delicious, but your hair will be stronger and healthier in next to no time! Notably, experts suggest combining lentils with starchy proteins like rice, wheat and corn, given that, this amalgamation provides a complete range of amino acids which are critical to hair keratin production.
What accelerates hair loss?
Several factors take a toll on the health of your hair. Commonest reasons are – undue exposure to the sun, environmental pollution, stress, erratic lifestyle, sleep deprivation, irregular eating patterns, inadequate water intake and using too many hair styling chemicals. There are 3 factors that seriously speed up the process of hair thinning and hair loss. Let’s understand.
1. Sugar: Sugar causes immense damage to our body; and speeding up the process of hair loss is one of the many damages. What sugar does is, it obstructs the absorption of protein; and protein is the most crucial nutrient for healthy hair. Hence, in order to effectually deal with a bad case of hair loss, steer clear of sugar.
2. Stress: Hair loss and stress go hand in hand. Being under immense stress for a prolonged period of time pushes most of the hair follicles into the resting phase. As a result, in a short time, the hair starts falling out profusely. On the other hand, you get your stress under control, and there is a strong possibility that your hair may grow back. Thus, it is very vital to recognize, acknowledge and manage stress well.
3. Sleep: Insufficient amount of sleep has a negative impact on your hair. Poor sleep causes excessive stress, which in turn adversely impacts the hair follicle, causing hair loss. Hence, a minimum of 8 hours of sleep is very essential for the health of hair. Regeneration and repair of hair follicles occurs during the sleep cycle; thus, ensure that you follow good sleep hygiene.
Unbelievably good hair growth treatment at home!
Natural hair growth treatments promise to successfully tackle thinning of hair, ward off potential hair loss and encourage new hair growth. What’s more all these wonderful treatments are sitting in our pantry! Indeed, there are a whole host of awesome treatments that you can make in your own kitchen using herbs, fruits, vegetables and essential oils – these are fabulous home remedies for hair growth & re-growth!
3 stellar hair masks for silky, shiny and luxuriant hair!
Get glossy hair effortlessly; let’s let loose the secrets!
1. Egg and olive oil energizer: Laden with proteins, vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, the egg and olive oil combination makes your hair soft, glossy and luxuriant. This energizer makes the hair roots lesser vulnerable to damage. Vitamins A, D, and E in the egg thwart hair fall and thicken your hair. Olive oil gives your scalp vitamins E and A, which help repair damaged hair that have been starved of nourishment. Olive oil protects the protein keratin in the hair, by trapping the moisture in each strand. Blend an egg with 3 spoons of olive oil; massage slowly and thoroughly into the scalp. Leave on for an hour and rinse it out as usual. This absolutely amazing natural conditioner adds bags of moisture in to stressed out strands and literally makes your hair gleam! Use the mask at least twice a week for incredible results!
2. Coconut oil and curry leaves tonic: Boil about 20 curry leaves in a bowlful of coconut oil until a black residue starts to form; use this blend once to twice a week. The coconut oil penetrates each and every hair shaft, making your hair stronger and is of special importance in combating environmental damage. Additionally, the oil has robust anti-bacterial properties which help deal with hair loss related to infections and dandruff. Curry leaves proffer loads of beta-carotene which augment hair growth substantially. The amino acids along with the potent antioxidants strengthen hair follicles and perk up hair growth. This hair tonic boosts hair growth, adds volume, and even fights grey! Give your locks a satin finish by using this mask frequently. Your locks will positively glisten with light!
3. Aloe and tea tree essential oil mask: Aloe Vera is crammed with vitamins A, C, and E – all these increase cell turnover, thus stimulating healthy hair growth. Aloe also provides the scalp with vitamin B12 and folic acid which pull the plug on hair fall. Combine aloe vera gel that’s obtained from fresh leaves; add 5 drops of tea tree essential oil and apply to the hair and scalp. The tea tree essential is a strong anti-microbial agent which gets rid of dandruff and infection and leaves your scalp squeaking clean. This mask hydrates and provides ultra-nourishment, lending a beautiful natural sheen to your hair!
A multitude of factors influences your hair – age, genetics, hormones, lifestyle choices and stress. What you eat is one thing that’s within your control and can govern your hair's appearance. Specific hair-foods beneficially affect the status of your hair, just as much as natural hair-conditioning treatments do. Instead of resorting to chemical based hair products, include natural therapies in your hair regimen armament. Also, remember to wash your hair daily, or at least every other day – environmental pollutants wreak a lot of havoc. Opt for a mild, herbal and sulphate-free shampoo. Furthermore, give blow-drying, straightening and curling a break. Deep conditioning, oiling and home spa treatments are your best friends! They promise to repair and rehydrate, giving you soft, shiny, thick, healthy and luxuriant hair!
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.