Fighting The Adverse Effects Of Pollution
Pollution is slowly surrounding us — from high up in the atmosphere to the lowest depth of the ocean. When we breathe in particulate matter, or take in organic pollutants or happen to consume heavy metals through our food and drinking water, it can cause severely detrimental effects. The pollutants enter and inflame the lining of the lungs, heart and other organs. This triggers asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, heart disorders, and cancer. What’s more, if you have existing respiratory and / or heart disorders, they aggravate due to the pollutants. Consequently, we need to learn how to improve immunity and combat the pollutants by shielding ourselves from the inside out.
Eat These 5 Foods To Build Your Immunity
It is indeed possible to safeguard yourself from pollution-related diseases and illnesses by eating the right foods. Certain foods are jam packed with vitamins A, C, and E and potent anti-oxidants that can help clean your system and thwart inflammations.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are a fabulous source of vitamin C – a potent antioxidant which helps battle the effects of pollution. Our body neither synthesizes nor stores this vitamin, so it is very vital that you consume adequate amounts daily. Make sure you have an orange or sweet lime daily. You could also confer with a health care provider and start a supplement.
- Flaxseeds: These seeds are packed with large amounts of phyto-estrogens and omega 3 fatty acids. These are strong free radical scavengers as well as anti-inflammatory agents that help deal with asthma, bronchitis, heart ailments as well as allergic reactions. Add flaxseeds to your smoothies, salads or muffins.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene which is a very powerful antioxidant and free radical annihilator. Your diet must include lots of fresh tomatoes – it will help protect you against respiratory ailments.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is touted as a super food! Curcumin, found in haldi is a robust anti-inflammatory agent. It helps battle bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, dermatitis and eczema successfully. Opt for Tata Sampann Turmeric Powder as it is manufactured and packaged to provide minimum 3% of curcumin per packet.
- Almonds: Almonds give you vitamin E, a super vitamin which reduces and wards off inflammation and oxidative stress caused by air pollution. Vitamin E is also essential for brain and heart health. Make sure that you jump start your day with a fistful of almonds or you could also consider a good vitamin E supplement.
Eating the right foods is your way of helping your body recover as well as fight off noxious agents successfully. Also, experts advise wearing a mask when outdoors; this will provide a lot of protection against particulate pollution. You could also think about getting an indoor air purifier. Steer clear of air fresheners and candles. Ensure that the filters on the air conditioners are always clean. These guidelines are bound to help you deal with the high levels of pollution and help protect you from unhealthy air.
- The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, Dr. Murray and Dr. Pizzorno.
The views and opinions expressed in this content piece are those of the author(s) and not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. Assumptions made in the analysis are not reflective of the position of any entity other than the author(s).The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.