Curd Rice: The Unsung Culinary Hero
Curd rice – a winning dish that has survived the ages! Staple to the south Indians, this healthy dish has a simple recipe and it is just the right blend of comfort and spicy! Curd rice or dahi chaawal has its origins in south Indian; however, it is well-loved all over the nation. It is also the go-to meal for anyone who is under the weather or is suffering from an upset stomach. One of the chief advantages is that it is a cinch to make.
Here’s why most people set store by dahi chaawal!
Yogurt is made by fermenting milk with a culture. It is an excellent source of protein and calcium, and supports healthy gut bacteria. Dahi promises to help stop of osteoporosis and also helps to relieve irritable bowel disease. Teamed with rice, this duo turns in to a nutrient powerhouse! Rice has the capacity to provide instant energy, monitor bowel movements, and keep your blood sugar profile normal. It is also a fantastic source of vitamin B1. The cereal bolsters the immune system, promotes a health-looking skin and also facilitates weight loss.
- A friend of the stomach: Curd rice is perfect to battle indigestion, acidity, bloating, flatulence, constipation and stomach cramps. Yogurt is packed with powerful pro-biotics which encourage the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and keep the GI tract functioning optimally.
- Cools the body: Dahi chaawal cools the body and helps sustain normal body temperature. When you’re down with a fever or it’s a really hot summer’s day, include curd rice in to your diet.
- Comfort food: Curd rice is comforting and satisfying. Loaded with pro-biotics, antioxidants, vitamins B6 and B12 and good fats, it acts like a potential stress buster and deals with stressful emotions effectively.
- Ideal for weight watchers: Dahi chaawal gratifies you and keeps you feeling fuller for longer and thereby makes sure that you don’t resort to mindless snacking. It has a tiny amount of calories and is recommended to those attempting to shed unwanted weight.
- Reinforces the immune mechanism: A bowl of curd rice is easy to digest and is the ideal meal for someone who is ill or recuperating. Yogurt is chockfull of all the right nutrients as well as pro-biotics that give the body power to fight infections and strengthen the immune system.
Healthy food with an easy recipe
Curd rice has always been considered a simple meal. It is an extremely healthy food recipe. However, cooking it right is an art and the secret lies in the correct tempering. Mustard seeds are popped in hot oil, a dash of asafoetida and one red chili is added. Some chana or urad dal, curry leaves, chopped coriander, and a hint of rock salt are also added to this tempering. To make your dahi chaawal a gastronomic delight, garnishing it with toasted cashews! Top it with a generous dollop of ghee which will lends a wonderful aroma and charm to this comforting dish.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.