Classic Urad Dal Recipes from Different Corners of India
Some urad dal nutrition facts and health benefits simply cannot be ignored. Fibre, potassium, vitamin B-complex, iron and magnesium found in urad dal can do wonders for you. The fibre lowers cholesterol levels and may stop plaque from developing in your arteries , while potassium effectively keeps the blood pressure in check. Magnesium, iron and vitamin B complex stimulate circulation, and keep the heart healthy.
This black gram can also help perk up the working of the GI tract and effectively deal with heartburn, acidity, flatulence and constipation. Urad dal is a protein powerhouse as well. The hair and skin benefits from urad dal too. Clearly, the urad dal health benefits are tremendous!
Well-loved Urad Dal recipes
India has diverse regional cuisines and each ingredient plays a pivotal part in creating the complexity and authenticity of a dish. Urad dal plays a significantly large role in most Indian recipes. From dals and curries to dosas and fritters, black gram is an essential part of our cuisines. Urad is outstandingly popular and is cooked throughout India.
- Dal makhani: A north Indian, Punjabi specialty, dal makhani is a simple yet absolutely delectable dish! This dish is a combination of urad dal with the strong flavours of ginger, garlic, chilli and cumin. Adding generous amounts of butter and cream, make dal makhani a lusciously creamy, appetizing, and well balanced recipe. It is served with pulao or butter naan.
- Kachoris: Urad dal kachoris are a huge delicacy in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. These kachoris are soft as well as crisp and are stuffed with a spicy urad dal paste. Flaky, crusty and golden brown, these kachoris ignite your taste buds. They are served with mint, coriander or tamarind chutney.
- South Indian recipes: Urad dal is used extensively in the south – dosa, idli, medu vada, bonda, adai, and uttapam. South Indian cuisines consist of a vast array of urad dal based dishes! These are served with sambar and coconut chutney and are an extremely popular all over the country and the world.
- Konkani recipe: A unique western India recipe, the kotte kadubu are steamed cakes like the idli and are made in jackfruit leaves. When the jackfruit leaves are steamed, they impart a strong flavour to the idlis which are unbelievably soft and fluffy.
- Dahi vada or dahi bhalle: This popular street food is called dahi vada in Mumbai and dahi bhalle in Delhi. The fritters are made from urad dal and are dunked in sweet yogurt, garnished with chutneys and spices, and topped with a generous amount of sev.
- Bengali radhaballlavi: These soft, crispy and yummy puris, are stuffed with a spicy urad dal filling. The puris are usually served with dum aloo. Radhaballlavi is an easy and delicious recipe which works as an appetizer as well as a main.
- Desserts made from urad dal: Urad dal pinni, urad dal ladoo and urad dal halwa are exceedingly popular and loved by all. They are usually a winter delicacy. The mithai has a grainy texture, but are absolutely soft and melt-in-the-mouth!
What is your favourite urad dal snack? Share your recipes with us in the comments!
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.