Can different types of salt help manage lifestyle conditions?
Why is salt important?
The body contains high concentrations of many minerals and nutrients, and though water is the most essential component, it also must have the proper concentration of nutrients in bones, blood and organs for the body to function properly. A person can’t be given an IV shot of plain water - it must contain a careful balance of minerals, including salt!
Salt is beneficial in many ways and can help to manage lifestyle conditions like the following:
• Hydration: Salt water consumed early in the morning can help boost energy levels throughout the day and help prevent the common fatigue. This is helpful in preventing the over consumption of stimulants that can lead digestive issues. Adequate hydration also helps in reduction of allergy symptoms.
• Digestion: Salt plays an essential role in digestion and absorption. It helps to secrete the enzyme salivary amylase in the mouth and aid digestion. Remember, digestion begins in the mouth. Salt also plays a role in breaking down food by releasing hydrochloric acid. Healthy digestion is crucial for vitality. A compromised digestive tract can lead to inflammation and attract a host of lifestyle health disorders.
• Obesity: Research shows that salt can clear out cortisol levels faster from the blood stream. Chronic levels of cortisol overtime are linked with unwanted body fat percentage and obesity
Similarly, there is some evidence that low salt diet is linked with elevated LDL cholesterol, insulin resistance and heart failure. Having said that, the key is balance and adequate consumption of salt with a balanced diet.
There are different types of salt that can help you meet your health needs:
1. Iodised salt: This is often known as the table salt. Iodised salt is easily dissolved in foods. Deficiency of iodine leads to low thyroid output. Iodine is also essential for brain development.
2. Low sodium salt: The key ingredient in this kind of salt is potassium. Regular salts are rich in sodium and low sodium salt contains less sodium and hence can be a good alternative to regular salt if needed.
3. Rock salt/ Pink salt: Himalayan rock salt is known as pink salt because of its pale pink colour and has a milder taste. Himalayan pink salt has a high mineral content again. Also because of its high mineral content, it may help reduce muscle cramps. Pink salt is also used for soothing and detoxifying baths.
4. Kosher salt: This is flaky and has larger grains. This salt does not contain any iodine. Kosher salt has a similar taste to regular salt.
5. Black Salt: Black salt is tangy salt with minerals. Black salt is extracted from natural sources, which adds a fresh flavour to your meals while helping with indigestion and constipation.
Salt is a key ingredient in cooking and adds to the flavouring. It is essential to be mindful about the excess consumption and learn to intuitively consume it. Using a variety of salt can help you manage various health problems while adding ample flavour to your food. But before making a change, always consult your doctor about your dietary needs as salt can have a significant impact on your health.
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.