Breakfasts With Besan
Crammed with good quality protein, very versatile and decidedly flavourful, besan is absolutely perfect for healthy breakfast recipes. Besan, made from chana dal, hails from India, and is literally indispensable in every home! Besan or gram flour boasts of having high amounts of protein and fibre - the undisputed dietary dream team that makes it a nutritional powerhouse. There are hundreds of innovative ways to use besan in your meals. We've rounded up delicious recipes for breakfast that will wow everyone.
Try Tata Sampann Besan while you make these recipes. It is made using 100% unpolished chana dal with no mix of any other powder or flour. It will help you achieve the authentic taste of every dish.
Besan based easy breakfast ideas
Fuel up and seize your day with these simple, yet healthy breakfast recipes that are quick to make and will energize you till the lunch hour.
1. Chilla: Besan provides the most perfect wholesome base of protein and fibre, and is a good foundation for various vegetables – experiment with onions, bell peppers, carrots and green peas. Adding yogurt to the batter brings in added protein and makes this savoury pancake super moist! 1 chilla can pack in about 10 grams of protein, loads of fibre and a lot of anti-oxidants. Healthy indulgence! Chillas are really jam-packed with flavour and go well with coriander-mint chutney.
2. Cutlets: A rather unconventional, yet healthy breakfast! When you add besan, it helps maintain the integrity of the cutlet and binds all the ingredients together. Combine potatoes, peas, spices, coriander and besan in to cutlets that promise to be a gorgeous golden brown, satisfying, and yummy. These nutritious cutlets keep you feeling full till the lunch time and guarantee to make your taste buds quiver.
3. Cookies: You sure have wished once too many times that you could gorge guilt-free on cookies. Well, here’s your chance to eat that wholesome cookie and not feel guilty afterwards! And what’s more, you can have the cookie for breakfast! Blend equal proportions of whole wheat atta and besan for the base of the cookie. A mere ¼ cup of besan will provide 5 grams of fibre and 6 grams of protein. Throw in your other ingredients – milk, butter and dark chocolate. Take the wholesomeness a notch higher by adding raisins and dates and skipping the sugar altogether. Chickpea flour amalgamates very well with the atta, so it's absolutely easy to gradually increase the percentage of besan in your cookies and it’s undoubtedly a big step in the right direction. By incorporating chickpea flour, you have slashed the calorie-intake by half, whilst increasing the overall nutrition radically; and have succeeded in keeping the yumminess quotient intact. Team it up with a glass of milk.
4. Dhokla or the spicy cake: This recipe is sure to become your favourite breakfast dish! Only, remember to prep the previous night and you're good to go the next morning! A medium sized piece of the cake will give you 12 grams of protein – which boosts satiety, helps you resist the urge to reach out for unhealthy nibbles and keeps your heart happy. Crank up the nutrition measure by adding veggies to the batter – green peas, bottle gourd and corn. Ginger and garlic lend the cake bags of flavour and it’s totally alright if you can’t resist having a second helping. The mustard seed and sesame seed tadka is what takes the recipe to the very next level!
5. Thepla: Everyone loves the thepla with its amazing-for-you ingredients! The thepla is usually confined to the lunch menu, but it works beautifully as a breakfast option too, served with fresh dahi. It a nutritious morning meal that can be made in next to no time. For the dough, blend together – wheat flour, chickpea flour, fresh methi leaves and spices. The ultimate game-changer in the recipe is the kasuri methi. This is a must try for breakfast time.
6. Tomato pancake: Pancakes are most certainly one of the easiest breakfast options available. A pancake made from besan lends you a ton of protein and assures you of a satisfying and filling morning snack. Integrating lycopene-rich tomatoes with the gram flour makes it a nutrition powerhouse; and crowning it all are the spices and aromats. Serve piping hot with spicy coriander-mint chutney.
7. Onion chilli missi roti: This Punjabi flatbread is undeniably perfect for breakfast and promises to set the pitch for your entire day. Served with yogurt, it makes for a gratifying and delicious morning meal. Jump-start your day with the missi roti – which combines fibre-dense whole wheat flour and protein-loaded besan, finely chopped onions, green chillies and delectable spices.
The best way to fuel up, fire up your metabolism, shore up your immunity, keep your mind in a happy frame and begin your day on the right note, is to eat a healthy breakfast. These recipes are not only super healthy, they are quick and straightforward to put together. Here’s your chance to up your breakfast game with these wholesome eats!
The views and opinions expressed, and assumptions & analysis presented in this content piece are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.