Small Diet Changes That Can Improve Immunity
Our immune system does an extraordinary job of shielding us from a host of disease-causing agents. It staves off a multitude of infections, adverse effects of noxious agents, abnormal inflammatory responses as well as cancers. However, there are times, when the immune system gets weakened and fails. The question is - is it possible for you to mediate and pep up your immune mechanism? How to improve immunity? Does it help to improve your diet and lifestyle?What are the best foods that can help boost your immune system?
6 powerful diet strategies to boost your immune system
An optimally functioning immune system needs good, regular nourishment. Here are healthy ways and diet to boost and reinforce your immune system. These powerful tips will ensure that your immune system can reach a superlative form!
- Boost vitamin C levels: Well known for its job of strengthening the immune system, vitamin C should be an essential part of your diet. Our body does not synthesize or store the vitamin. Hence, it is crucial that you get the recommended amount every day. Vitamin C is needed for growth and repair. It is a powerful antioxidant and free radical annihilator. Food that can help boost your vitamin C levels include – oranges, sweet limes, lemons, tomatoes, strawberries, bell peppers, broccoli, and kiwi.
- Stock up on vitamin E-rich foods: A robust antioxidant, vitamin E destroys free radicals and modulates a horde of immune functions. Foods loaded with vitamin E include - almonds, walnuts, cashews, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds.
- Zinc is a wonderful infection fighter: Zinc monitors the immune response as well as deals with inflammations in the body. Excellent sources include - oysters, crab, poultry, chickpeas, beans and yogurt. Including zinc in your diet is helpful to boost immunity.
- Turmeric is remarkable immune booster: Turmeric has a powerful impact on our immune system; curcumin in turmeric reduces inflammations and battles infections. It is one of the best foods and spices for the immune system. Tata Sampann Turmeric Powder is manufactured and packaged using top notch scientific methods and provides 3% of curcumin.
- Carotenoid: This is a potent warrior! Carotenoids are found in carrots, pumpkin, tomato, sweet potato and squash. These foods help your immune system stay strong. In the body, carotenoids convert into vitamin A, which has a powerful antioxidant effect and strengthens the immune system.
- Stay well hydrated: Staying hydrated boosts the immune health appreciably. Water helps in the production of lymph, which carries WBCs as well as other immune system cells. Integrate a lot of juicy foods into your diet, such as – watermelon, cucumber and pears. Reduce consumption of beverages that are dehydrating, such as coffee
The old adage that says – ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ does have a lot of truth behind it! Consuming wholesome nutrient- packed foods rich in vitamins and minerals helps the immune system combat diseases effectively. A healthy immune system and strong immunity depend upon a healthy diet, good sleep pattern and regular exercise.
The views and opinions expressed in this content piece are those of the author(s) and not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company. Assumptions made in the analysis are not reflective of the position of any entity other than the author(s).The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.